COVID-19 – Leave: Information and Instructions for Timekeeping Entry
New Earn Codes
EPSL Earn Codes: Emergency Paid Sick Leave
- EPS – to be taken for reasons 1-4 and 6.
- EPC – when an employee elects to use EPSL for the first two weeks of FMLA+ (reason 5).
- Both can be used intermittently or continuously for reasons 1-4 and 6 (if the employee is working exclusively on campus, leave must be taken continuously in 1 workday increments. If the employee is working remotely, this may be used intermittently).
- HR/Payroll will enter time.
ECAL Earn Codes: Emergency Covid-19 Administrative Leave
- ECL – when ECAL is used after ESPL has been exhausted for reasons 1-4 and 6 (If the employee is working exclusively on campus, leave must be taken continuously in 1 workday increments. If the employee is working remotely, this may be used intermittently). HR/Payroll will enter time.
- ENW – To be used when a bi-weekly employee is available and willing to work, but the department has no work for them to perform. The department will enter time.
- ENM- To be used when a monthly or semi-monthly employee is available and willing to work, but the department has no work for them to perform. The department will enter time.
FMLA+ Earn Code: Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act
- FME – Pay for expanded family and medical leave. After the first 2 weeks of FMLA+, FME will be used to pay employees. (During the first 2 weeks of FMLA+, employees may use EPSL, accrued vacation, accrued comp time, or LWOP). FMLA+ can be used intermittently or continuously. To be eligible for FMLA+, employees must have been employed for at least 30 days. The department will enter time after confirmation/verification from HR/Benefits coordinator.
Uncomfortable Coming to Campus
If employees feel uncomfortable coming to campus due to COVID-19, they do not qualify for leave under EPSL, FMLA+, or ECAL. Employees will be permitted to use accrued vacation, sick (after vacation has been exhausted), or compensatory time, or enter LWOP status. The department will enter time.
Averaging of Hours for TES/Part-time/Student Employees
- TES, part-time, and student employees who are eligible for leave under the FFCRA must complete the COVID-19 leave request form.
- After the request is received in HR, the hours that the employee is to be paid will be calculated (by HR/Payroll) using an average of hours worked over the past 6 months. This average will be calculated using all active jobs in banner.
- HR/Payroll will then enter the appropriate hours into Kronos where applicable per the type of leave.
- The average hours cannot be calculated until an employee submits a request, as the law states the 6-month look back period for average hours is from the date of the leave request.
- If an employee has been employed for less than 6 months with Auburn University, HR/Payroll will communicate with the employee’s supervisor to determine the agreed upon work schedule to determine eligible hours to be paid.
Paper Version of Leave Request Form
A paper leave form will be available, to be used only when it is not possible to use the electronic form. The paper form may be uploaded to the secure HR website document upload site (http://www.auburn.edu/administration/human_resources/Secure_Document_Upload/hrpeb.html) , placed in the drop box at Human Resources, or mailed to HR.
Helpful examples of FFCRA leave use:
- Jane’s regular daycare provider is unavailable, and she has no one else that is a suitable childcare provider.
- Jane can apply for FMLA+ (Expanded FMLA) through the electronic request form portal.
- After her eligibility for FMLA+ has been confirmed by the HR benefits coordinator, Jane may begin her expanded FMLA leave. The first two weeks are unpaid; however, Jane may indicate her desire to use EPSL, accrued vacation, accrued sick leave, or accrued compensatory time to ensure that she will be paid during those two weeks, or she may elect to go into a leave without pay (LWOP) status.
- The department will be responsible for entering this time in Kronos. If she is using her ESPL for the first 2 weeks, it must be recorded in Kronos using earn code EPC.
- Beginning with her third week of FMLA+, she will be paid using FME throughout the remainder of her FMLA+. The department will be responsible for entering the proper hours into Kronos.
- Bob is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and is seeking a medical diagnosis.
- He may use the online request form to indicate that he wishes to take EPSL.
- HR/Payroll will enter the EPSL into Kronos, using the EPS earn code.
- If Bob wishes to continue his leave after his EPSL has been exhausted, he must submit another request to indicate his desire to use ECAL. He may only use ECAL if his EPSL has been exhausted. A payroll team member will verify his eligibility for ECAL (by ensuring that all EPSL has been exhausted) and will then either enter his ECAL (earn code ECL) into Kronos, or reach out to the employee if further information is needed.
- Sam is a member of the custodial team. Due to much of campus working remotely, many buildings are largely unoccupied, reducing the need for regular cleaning. The department can only provide Sam with regular work for three days per week, even though he is available and willing to work his regularly scheduled hours.
- The department will enter earn code ENW into Kronos to record hours on days when no work was available for Sam.
- José does not qualify for FMLA+, and he is not experiencing any of the qualifying reasons 1-4 or 6. However, he is not comfortable coming to campus and is unable to perform his job duties from home.
- José may use accrued vacation leave, sick leave (after accrued vacation leave is exhausted), or compensatory time in week long increments.
- The department will be responsible for entering this leave in Kronos.
- Sue is a TES employee. She is caring for her husband, who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and is quarantined at home.
- Sue is eligible for leave under the FFCRA. She will request EPSL (and if needed, ECAL) using the online request form.
- Since she normally works irregular hours, HR/Payroll will calculate her average hours and will enter in Kronos accordingly. 91